Friday, December 19, 2008

Family Christmas Letter


So the family Christmas letter is back by popular demand. Another year gone by quicker than the one before (technically it was longer because it was a leap year but whose counting right?). Our family is no longer so little – in both size and number. Not that we are getting fat but the kids are growing taller and older. We had some amazing memories this year that I would like to share.

I guess I’ll go first and get the worst part of this letter out of the way. Not much to say here. My gut is getting bigger – I am no longer shaving my head but there still isn’t much on it to speak of – still working at Wada Farms but we did move into a new spacious building which was great – still in the Elder’s Quorum Presidency – still the one writing the Christmas letter. One thought about the following paragraphs. The people I am talking about are truly the reason why I get up in the morning and thus I can be very biased.

Emily is as busy as she has ever been. Her workload has increased considerably with the addition of Eliana. She now has four little ones to raise and she does an amazing job. I would never be able to take her place, nor would I want to. I am pretty sure I would fail where she succeeds. I am always amazed with her ability to get it all done and do a good job with her calling as the Webelos leader. Something new this year that has been fun is that we have joined a dinner group. Where Emily takes one night a week and makes dinner for three families and then the next two nights the other wives make dinner for us.

Shaustia had a major milestone in her life this year. She turned 8 years old and was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We were so happy for her and it was definitely a memorable day for all of us. She is an amazing girl soon to be a young woman and has a knack for writing stories and loves to draw. She got braces this year. Unfortunately she inherited her Dad’s teeth. Hopefully they will be off here in the next couple of months.

Austin and Keaton could not be more different in personality. Austin loves video games and television and gets excited about anything remotely related to Star Wars. Keaton could really care less about television and video games. He gets bored with them easily. However, you will find him outside most of the time and he loves to wrestle and play ball and play with cars. The odd thing about Keaton that we find rather interesting is that he is by far the most picky about his clothes. He won’t wear jeans and he absolutely loves the color orange. You always know how Austin is feeling. He is quick to forgive but also quick to anger. Keaton is a tough kid who doesn’t like to show emotion unless he doesn’t get what he wants. Then you know exactly how he feels. Even though they are two very different boys I couldn’t be happier with how they are choosing to live their lives and the way they are growing up.

Eliana is our newest addition and she couldn’t be more wonderful. She has been an absolute joy to have in our home. She is pretty small for her age and that makes her all the more cute and cuddly. It is bittersweet every time she hits a milestone knowing it will be the last time one of our kids will roll over or crawl for the first time. She is crawling and standing up and soon will be walking even though she seems way too small to be able to do any of that. No matter how bad my day is, the minute I get home and hold her in my arms, I find myself calmer and happier. She is going to be one spoiled kid by her dad.

My thought this year comes from a great scripture Revelations 3:16. It’s the one about spewing lukewarm water out of His mouth and likening us to that lukewarm water. I know that in my life I have become very complacent in my calling, in my faith and in life in general. How easy it is to get caught up in everyday life and trying to “succeed” in the world. What matters most in the eternities is pushed aside. I think to myself, “As the kids get older it will be easier to be more faithful.” Home and visiting teaching, keeping the Sabbath day holy, not watching inappropriate movies and TV shows, spending time talking with God and learning of Him – not just at Church. Yes, I go to church and I have a calling, but really how worthy am I to be in the presence of God when I am so lukewarm in my daily routine? We celebrate His birth during this time of year and then try and set goals for the year to follow. Let us remember who brought us here, who gives us breath, and who made it possible for us to return. I hope we all can remember why we are here and why we celebrate Christmas all year long! Merry CHRISTmas!